Saturday, March 6, 2010

Something a little different





Part of my Drawing II class this semester involves having the class develop what is essentially an elaborate relief sculpture of the human head out of Plastilina on a wooden armature - (anyone who had McMurray's Human head class @ Edinboro University will remember this - Bruce, I'm mainly talking to you here!). I love doing these sculptures & the materials are so easy to work with. I believe that the complex forms of the skeleton & various muscle groups can really be more solidly grasped, from a drawing aspect, in three dimensions. I am currently attempting to develop a full figure (approximately 1/4 life size, maybe a little less). I'll post pictures here as I get more work done. This is a really great thing to do to improve your drawing. These photos are from two nights' work of constructing the armature & building up a rough idea of the major forms - this is really like the gesture stage, but in three dimensions.

2 comments:

  1. I do remember. Very, very difficult. The beauty of such pursuits is how revealing they are in exposing what we don't know. If you draw and paint the figure with some success this will show you how limited your knowledge is- particularly where one viewpoint meets another and how they connect.

    This look awesome already! Great gesture!

    ReplyDelete