Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Drawings, Details, and Bouguereau










For some of the paintings that I've been working on recently, I've been doing fully developed drawings of some of the figures and then transferring these to the canvas. Some of you may be familiar with the article entitled "Bouguereau at Work" (available at the Art Renewal Center's website). Reading about how Bouguereau went about building up a painting from initial idea(s), to sketches, to more detailed studies, to the final painting is very inspiring and I know that in my case, it gave me a greater appreciation of his amazing work. I tried to apply some of these ideas to my own work in the best way I knew how. It's an involved process, but it's worth it to at least try it. Here are some of my drawings as well as details from a couple of the larger pieces I've been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment